Learning Dutch is the best way to make the most of your time in Leiden. So, are you ready to learn Dutch? Looking for the best language school? Here are a selection of top language institutes you can check.
What type of course are you interested in?
In general, language institutes have private and group courses.
- Group courses: Group language training enables you to communicate and socialize with other students in a multicultural atmosphere. There will be many conversations and discussions on useful topics. It’s more enjoyable and you make new friends.
- Private courses: This type of course offers tailored and flexible training, depending on your schedule and requirements. You will learn exactly the language skills you have to improve for your job.
Dutch language schools Leiden
LINGUA FRANCA offers Dutch classes for highly educated foreigners. It organizes Dutch language courses in collaboration with International Student Network Leiden (ISN Leiden). It provides group and private courses for all levels (beginner to advanced).
- Highly experienced trainers (over 30 years of teaching)
- Language courses with lower prices
- Students from the Leiden University receives a discount
- For private courses, 20 % of the lessons can be postponed without charges
The number of students in a group course can vary (2-12). The training takes place in the mornings, evenings and on Saturdays. It is held either at home or at the school’s location.
At Alpha Talen, you can follow a language training tailored to your needs and wishes. It provides training for various languages including Dutch. You can choose to take it individually or in groups. It also provides in-company lessons and helps foreigners to train for the “Inburgering” and the state exams.
- The courses are intended for higher level (B1 and higher).
- Language training with flexible time and number of hours with lessons corresponding to your needs and level
- Trainers with extensive teaching experience
- ‘Dutch at the workplace’ designed for expats to help them communicate effectively in Dutch at work
Your personal requirements are important for the school. It aims to provide the best program for you and your company. The group courses are small in number. It starts with 2 to 3 participants, can 5 students or 6 to 8.
Taalservice-leiden focuses on offering Dutch language training for individuals and small groups. It provides tailor-made and flexible Dutch courses via Skype and in-company training and intensive language course in nature for all levels (beginners to advanced).
- Fun learning with an enjoyable, enthusiastic and knowledgeable teacher
- There’s more focus on speaking skills, communication, interaction and listening during the course
- Small groups – in order to pay more attention to each student’s needs and give personal feedback
- The intensive Dutch course is given outdoor in nature, staying at the beautiful national parks ‘Weerribben-Wieden’ enjoying excursions and Dutch lessons in the morning. You are accommodated.
Since personal attention is important for the school, the number of participants in a group course is 5 students maximum. The intensive course is an exception with 12 participants maximum.
Taalthuis is a renowned language school in the Netherlands. It is present in 7 cities including Leiden. Its targets are expats, au pairs and international students who want to learn and improve Dutch skills. It provides group and in-company courses with different levels from beginners to advanced.
- Tallthuis makes the lessons interesting and fun with inspiring subjects and topics
- The school develops its own course materials for the Beginner and Intermediate levels
- You have access to the e-learning, to help you practice with pronunciation, grammar exercises and learn new vocabulary
- You get a 15% discount on the course fee if you’re an au pair or a student
The maximum number of participants in group courses is 12. The school aims to give personal attention as much as possible. The course is taken either in the morning from 9.30 to 11.45 or in the evening from 7.15 to 9.30.
Dutch for Expats
DUTCH FOR EXPATS® offers several interesting training programs for Dutch language. It is present in other cities in the Netherlands including Leiden. It is experienced in offering language courses for expats, diplomats…individually, in groups and in company for all levels. The teachers are all qualified native Dutch speakers.
- You can improve your pronunciation with the interesting workshops ”Improve your Dutch pronunciation” for all levels
- The school provides special ‘Dutch courses for diplomats’ with flexible timing and tailored to their needs.
- It offers a 1 day course of 6 hours called ‘1 Day Course Survival Dutch’: an intensive course that teaches basic expressions and vocabularies for everyday use.
- You can improve your speaking skills by joining ‘Conversation Coffee Mornings’ if you have higher level (intermediate or advanced)
The group size is small and vary from 4 to 10 students. The training takes place at the school’s building in Leiden. The lessons are taken during weekdays and even the weekends in the morning, afternoon and evening.
Dutchsummerschool.nl / Dutchwinterschool.nl
If you want to experience learning Dutch in an intensive and fun way, then enroll for the Dutch Summer School. It happens between July/August. It is called Dutch Winter School during winter January/February. You can choose between Amsterdam and Drenthe. This program suits you if you want to learn Dutch the fast way.
- The learning method is based on co-working with each other: doing homework together, practise Dutch, exploring the country in a good social atmosphere
- The school teaches Dutch with its own book ‘Het Lesboek’
- Participants of the Dutch Winter School have access to additional e-learning materials for more practice
- You can choose to be accommodated or not. The place has it all: free Wi-Fi, free use of a bike, gym, a library, a study area and gaming room. There is a canteen with cheap meals and a paid laundry service.
The Summer School usually has a lot of participants, it can be more than 300 students and is more popular than the Winter School. The teacher speaks Dutch, but uses English for lower levels to help you understand. The groupsize is max. 16 students.
If you’re looking for a private Dutch course or want to organise a group course at your office please consider choosing us. 🙂 You’ll get much speaking practice and will be able to hold a conversation with Dutch colleagues and friends in no time!
- much speaking practice
- interactive and fun lessons
- you’ll learn how to handle daily conversations
- easygoing, experienced and fun teachers
We specialise in in-company courses. The groupsize is max. 10 participants and the course is focused on the learning goals of the participants. You’ll get one 2,5 hour lesson plus 3/4 hours of homework and the course takes 5 months to complete. We’re a flexible language institute with patient and enthusiastic teachers.
We hope that we helped you to find the right school for you. Thank you for reading this page!