Do you live in Groningen? Are you searching for a Dutch language school but not sure which one to choose? You can find out below some of the top language institutes and pick what you prefer the most.
What type of course are you mostly familiar with?
In general, language schools offer private and group courses :
- Group courses: In this type of course, you learn with other students. You get to meet people from different backgrounds. You will enjoy group discussion, teamwork and games together. You will practice your language skills with each other.
- Private courses: With this type of course, you can request specific skills to learn. The lessons given in private courses are exactly tailored to your needs. You work together with the teacher to improve and have effective language skills.
Dutch language schools Groningen
Ziggurat Taaltrainingen offers linguistic training for varieties of languages along with Dutch. The school has 3 types of training: private, group courses, and in-company training. The teachers qualified, certified native Dutch speakers.
- The school’s teaching methods are to balance reading, writing, listening and speaking skills, conversation and grammar.
- For the course materials, you will use and learn with the textbook ‘Nederlands in gang.’
- The e-learning is very useful. You can learn new vocabulary, practice with exercises, and watch videos…You can get in touch with your teacher and chat with the other students.
- The application MemoTrainer is interesting. It helps you remember words and expressions up to 70 to 95% from your training. You will learn faster when you regularly repeat what you learned in class.
For the personal training, you work with your own tutor at the days and times that suits you. About the group courses, the class size is 9 students maximum. The duration of the course is 9 weeks that occurs in the evening form 7 to 9pm.
Groningen Language Centre
The Groningen Language Centre also provides training for varied languages including Dutch. It offers private and small group classes with different levels from beginners to intermediate. If you need to improve on particular skills, you can also take tailor-made courses.
- If you need specific skills in Dutch, you can take special classes like conversation classes or academic writing skills…
- If you want to learn faster, the school offers intensive training
- If you’re an employee and have busy timetables, you can take your courses via Skype
The school offers small group classes with a maximum size of 4 students. For private courses, you choose the time and date that suits you best, can be in the morning or in the evening.
If you’re a newcomer in Groningen, Twega can assist you with diverse language training in Dutch. The school is highly experienced in giving integration and state exams training. It also provides general language courses for daily life use and specific training for professional use like a job application…
- It has a large network of skilled teachers and trainers
- Foreign students can enjoy summer and winter courses
- For Job seekers who took language courses in Twega, the school will continue to assist you during the working period to increase your language skills at work.
- If you’re a busy person, you can take classes via Skype anywhere
The school offers private and group courses. How long the course will last, will be discussed during the intake interview. It will depend on the type of course. There is room for a maximum of 14 students for the courses.
Talencentrum Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
The University of Groningen Language Centre offers many language training including Dutch. It provides group courses, online classes and tailor-made courses. You can also train for integration exams and acquire specific Dutch skills like speaking and writing. The courses can be taken intensively or regularly
- Extremely well-qualified and experienced trainers
- E-learning: free access to ‘Dutch MOOC’ and an online program for self-study called ‘Rosetta Stone’
- The textbooks used were developed by its teachers at the Centre and used throughout the country like ‘Nederlands in gang’
- You can pay your course with DUO loan. The Language Centre is certified ‘Blik op Werk’ provider of integration courses
The group size depends on the type of course you follow: for online courses, min. 6 students, for group courses, max.16 students in each group and for ‘Dutch at the workplace’, max. 12 students. The courses are available throughout the year and during the summer. It takes about 8-12 weeks.
Dutchsummerschool.nl / Dutchwinterschool.nl
If you want to experience learning Dutch in an intensive and fun way, then enroll for the Dutch Summer School. It happens between July/August. It is called Dutch Winter School during winter January/February. You can choose between Amsterdam and Drenthe. This program suits you if you want to learn Dutch the fast way.
- The learning method is based on co-working with each other: doing homework together, practise Dutch, exploring the country in a good social atmosphere
- The school teaches Dutch with its own book ‘Het Lesboek’
- Participants of the Dutch Winter School have access to additional e-learning materials for more practice
- You can choose to be accommodated or not. The place has it all: free Wi-Fi, free use of a bike, gym, a library, a study area and gaming room. There is a canteen with cheap meals and a paid laundry service.
The Summer School usually has a lot of participants, it can be more than 300 students and is more popular than the Winter School. The teacher speaks Dutch, but uses English for lower levels to help you understand. The groupsize is max. 16 students.
If you’re looking for a private Dutch course or want to organise a group course at your office please consider choosing us. 🙂 You’ll get much speaking practice and will be able to hold a conversation with Dutch colleagues and friends in no time!
- much speaking practice
- interactive and fun lessons
- you’ll learn how to handle daily conversations
- easygoing, experienced and fun teachers
We specialise in in-company courses. The groupsize is max. 10 participants and the course is focused on the learning goals of the participants. You’ll get one 2,5 hour lesson plus 3/4 hours of homework and the course takes 5 months to complete. We’re a flexible language institute with patient and enthusiastic teachers.
We hope that we helped you to find the right school for you. Thank you for reading this page!